USS Edson (DD-946) was a Forrest Sherman-class destroyer of the United States Navy, named for Major General Merritt “Red Mike” Edson USMC (1897–1955), who was awarded the Medal of Honor while serving as Commanding Officer of the First Marine Raider Battalion on Guadalcanal, and the Navy Cross and Silver Star for other actions in world War II.
Edson was laid down on 3 December 1956 by Bath Iron Works Corporation, Bath, Maine; launched on 4 January 1958, sponsored by Mrs. M. A. Edson, widow of General Edson; and commissioned on 7 November 1958, with Commander Thomas J. Moriarty in command.
After many years of service, the USS Edson was originally transferred to the Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum in New York City in 1989. It was then returned to the U.S. Navy in 2004 to the Philadelphia Ship Yard.
The USS Edson now rests at the Saginaw Valley Naval Ship Museum in Bay City, MI